Friday, January 23, 2009

Un Día Mejor!

Hola! Just wanted to write a quick update telling everyone that I have been doing a lot better since my last post. Last night I went out with my friend and her roommate and it was fun! I am still having some stomach issues so I struggled for part of the time but I was able to stay out. We met some Spanish boys who we talked to for a while (in Spanish!) and it was fun...they corrected a lot of our awful mistakes and told us that our Spanish sounded like how they would speak in a job interview hahaha...I guess it just goes to show that I really do know only traditional Spanish, and need to learn more colloquial Spanish! But last night helped, so I'm working on it!

Today I slept in, and just as I was waking up I heard my Señora leaving, which I'm not gonna lie was a little relieving because I knew she would ask me what time I came home and not like it! Haha, I think she has never had a student before so she doesn't really understand...last night when I was leaving she was shocked that I was leaving the house so late! But she was also just worried about me I think, so I should not complain!

Anyways, around noon I met up with my friend Jillian and we walked into the main area (el centro). We had a really great day! We did some shopping, lots of sightseeing (I took some pictures which I will upload soon), ate freshly-made pizza for lunch, explored, and got to know the centro a little better! I am finally starting to learn my way around a little bit. Then we had to go to the CIEE center to find out when we register for classes tomorrow, and there was also tons of information on interest groups we can sign up for, excursions we can go on, and extracurricular type things. I think I want to sign up for this interest group called 4 Cultures- Christians, Jews, Muslims, and Gypsies. It sounds really cool, and you get to take a free trip to Morroco! I also signed up for a trip to the Cathedral and la Giralda here in Sevilla just to leanr more about them, a hiking day trip (I know, me hiking is funny) and a trip to Granada in 2 weeks. All for free! I am very excited.

I then came back, caught up with a few people online (yay!) and now I am going to shower. Tita Charo isn't home yet but I'm assuming she will be soon for dinner (which is usually at 9:30- so late!). Then I am going out with my friends after dinner even though my legs are SO tired from walking so much. I need to stop being such a wuss!!

Hasta luego, Jess

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jess!

    Glad to hear that you're settling in--I remember when my nephew Alex was in Brazil--same type of things, but at the end, he actually felt very bad about leaving! Keep drinking that water (you know that Grandma would want you to!) and don't be too rough on yourself! It's a big world out there! Love from all of the Sturgeon Bay Seilers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jess Friday PM Read two of your blogs today. One in morning and one tonight. Like the old saying -- night and day difference. So glad you are beginning to have a little fun. Nice to have a friend called Jilly. We are great, weather great, golf is just ok. David is coming on Sunday to play golf. Grandma will cook David a home cooked meal. Love you Lots,G&GB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jess,

    I just caught up and read all of your blogs. I am so happy to read that you are adjusting. The stomach part makes it that much more difficult. Believe me I know all about stomach issues!

    I also remember how much walking we did last year when we went to visit Zach in Barcelona. I was exhausted EVERY day. Cabs were expensive, but the metro system was not, and it was a great way to get around.
    I also remember that the food was tough for me. I don't eat Jamon, nor do I eat shellfish. It seemed like that's all there was to eat. Breakfasts were also interesting, my choices were cafe (which I don't drink), bocadillos or pastries. I wanted yogurt or eggs or oatmeal. It just wasn't available, at least not where we were. I did find some fabulous Tapas places for dinner that offered tons of choices. Yum!
    Have you had any wines yet? I loved Riojas, and had a glass every night.
    Well, thanks again for keeping us posted. Enjoy every minute. Love and miss you, Auntie Randi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jess-
    We are glad you made it safe and sound to Sevilla. We hope you enjoy youself and we can't wait to hear more about your side trips, classes, and the general area.
    We also hope your stomach gets adjusted real soon!
    We are so excitied for you to have such a wonderful opportunity at hand!
    We miss you and can't wait to hear more!
    Love, Wendi and Larry

    ReplyDelete